Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Keep him sedated

I met Mrs McTaggart in the pharmaceuticals aisle in the grocery section of the local department building, three stories above ground. She was picking up some Tylenol for her daughter. I was searching for a bottle of wound disinfectant. Unfortunately for her, the Tylenol was rather high up in the shelves, and she was not quite tall enough to reach. I stepped in front of her and grabbed it off the wall, turning and handing it to her in one fluid motion. "You're welcome."

"Thank you," she said, flustered. It looked as if she were going to say something else, but she never got the words out. Perhaps it was the bruises on my neck, or the large cut on my cheek. I stuck out my hand.

"No problem. Glad to meet you."

She nodded, and found her voice again. "Yes. Hello. I'm Samantha McTaggart."

"Charmed."

We parted ways then, but I watched her as she walked to the checkout line. I watched her as she stepped into the express lane and paid for her one item with a credit card. I watched her as she tucked the medicine into her purse and headed for the door. I watched her as a shadowy figure grabbed her around the waist, hoisted her up, and threw her out the window. I watched as the shadowy figured dashed away, and I watched as nobody did anything to stop him.

No comments:

Post a Comment