Saturday, November 5, 2011

It's not lupus, I

From my home in Texas, it is a relatively short trip to Tucson, Arizona, where the marathon has come to an end. First place goes to Miss Ritter.

I introduced myself to the kind policemen guarding her room as "Theodore Teodora, pleased to meet you. I'll be taking Doctor Hanson's place while he's out today." They didn't even ask for identification - not that that would have hindered me. Inside the room, I had to button up my coat against the chill. I waited for her to speak first, checking the instruments, watching the readings.

"The other one just left." Her voice sounded scratchy and thick at the same time.

"Yes," I replied, "I just passed her in the hall." I pulled up a chair to the side of her bed and got out my notebook. "You are Lea Ritter, correct?"

"Yes. Again."

"'Again,' hm? Were you someone else before?"

"Yes. No. Only me."

"You don't seem very sure."

"Drugs. You have the charts."

I looked at the foot of her bed. "I have this one, here, hanging off your cot...oh, but you can't see. Pity."

"No. No pity."

I will admit, that surprised me. I would have relished every smidgen of pity I received were I in her position. "No pity?" I paused, scribbled in my notebook, listened to the soft beeps of the machines. "Interesting. You probably think I'm a nurse."

"Not a nurse?"

"No. Not a nurse. I am here to check up on you, though."

"Fine. No changes."

"Come, Atalanta. You must have gone through a big change to go from student to serial killer."

"No reporters. They said no reporters. Go away." I waited for it to sink in. When it did, she said, "You don't know. Can't."

"You're right. I don't know. I know what you've written, but there's more to the tale. Where is the truth?"

"No reporters."

"I'm not a reporter, Atalanta." I sighed. "Call me Ted."

"He sent you?"

"Good heavens, no. I just want to talk."

"They'll hear. Can't let them know."

"Don't worry about that right now. Focus on my voice."

"Have to plead guilty. Can't let them find out. He wants that."

"I can't help you with the law. But if you do talk to me, I promise you won't be put down as just an insane, blathering murderer."

"Who, then? You'll tell who?"

That made me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment